Student/Parent Handbook 2018/19
The mission of Ballet Arts NW (BANW) is to provide our dancers with professional instruction, a safe learning environment and an opportunity for growth. In order to maintain these standards, the items listed in this handbook are critically important. Please take time to thoroughly review and, if you have any questions, email email@example.com
A non-refundable fee of $25 per student/maximum of $40 per family is required yearly.
- Payments are due the first day of your dancer’s class each month. Payments are considered late if not received by the 10th of the month and a $25 late fee will be added to your account at that time.
- Cash, checks and debit/credit cards are all valid forms of payment. However, American Express cards cannot be accepted. A $25 fee will be assessed if a check is returned for non-sufficient funds.
- If there is an unpaid balance on an account for over a month, the dancer will be unable to attend classes until it is paid in full.
Class placement of dancers will be determined by instructors and studio director, taking into account such tools for evaluation as dancer’s age, maturity, gross motor skills (lower levels), attendance, participation and work ethic (higher levels). ATTIRE AND HAIR REQUIREMENTS
- At the beginning of each dance year, BANW will order required leotards for each student. If additional items (tights, shoes, leotards, etc) are needed throughout the year, they can be purchased by families at The Dance Store (2195 Hyacinth St NE).
- Required dance attire and shoes must be worn in ALL classes. Failure to wear required attire can result in students being asked to sit out the class.
- For all ballet classes, hair must be worn in a bun and neatly secured during every class. Students with short hair need to secure hair back and away from the face.
- Dancers must arrive at the studio with their hair class-ready. Studio staff are unable to assist dancers with buns.
- For all Jazz and Hip Hop classes, dancers’ hair should be in a ponytail.
- When entering and exiting the studios, dancers must have regular clothes on over their dance attire.
HEALTH OF STUDENTS
Students showing signs of illness, fever, recent vomiting, etc. should refrain from coming to class. Please err on the side of caution as germs can spread quickly at the studio.
Parents/legal guardians of minor students and adult dancers all waive the right to any legal action for any injury sustained on studio property. This applies to their scheduled dance instruction time as well as prior to and following class times.
ATTENDANCE AND TARDIES
- If a student arrives late for class, it is possible that they will be unable to participate in class that day.
- If a student will not be attending class, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the event of an absence, students are able to make up classes in any lower level class within a month of their absence.
STUDENTS AT STUDIO DURING NON-CLASS TIME
BANW is not responsible for providing any non-classtime supervision for students. It is expected that students will not be left at the studio without an adult for longer than 10 minutes before or after their classes.
BANW is dedicated to providing a positive learning experience for all students. All visitors to the studio are expected to treat staff, students, parents and children with respect at all times. Undesirable or threatening behavior will result in immediate removal from the studio.
BANW is a drug and alcohol free facility. Any violations of this policy, or anyone (family members or dancers) who appears to be intoxicated or under the influence can be asked to leave the studio or BANW event immediately.
- BANW will follow the Salem-Keizer school district decisions on closure for inclement weather.
- Each year, a holiday closure schedule will be announced to BANW families.
CLASS OBSERVATION WEEKS
During class observation weeks, students are welcome to invite family and friends to observe their class(es) in studio. During this time, please ensure that all studio guests are respectful, silence cell phones, avoid side conversations during class and remove younger siblings from the studio if they are being disruptive. Dates for class observation weeks will be announced via email during the dance year.
It is the responsibility of each dancer’s family to regularly check their email, the BANW website and Facebook page for information and updates. Dancers’ bags may also have notices in them. Please inform BANW of any email, address or phone number changes immediately so you are receiving all needed communication.
- No food or gum are allowed inside the dance studios.
- Closed container water bottles are allowed and should be brought with students each day.
- No cell phones or other electronic devices are allowed in the studios.
- BANW is not responsible for any lost items or items left at the studio, BANW events or recitals.